The goal is to get to know the older adult in their own environment to conduct a comprehensive assessment to arrange the most appropriate and affordable services. Listed below are the key areas to assess:
5 Principles of a Comprehensive Assessment:
- Medical - physical health, medication review, functional assessment a. Basic activities of daily living and physical status, nutrition, sleep habits
- Psycho-Social - Assess cognitive and mental health a. Determine social interactions and social resources
- Evaluation and recommendation of older adult(s) physical environment
- Transportation to medical appointments, shopping, etc.
- Financial - collect documentation related to an individual’s financial resources, determine an individual’s countable resources for benefits eligibility and evaluate ability to manage finances .
- Safety - common risk factors such as falls
- Determine the safety of an older adult's home, any physical barriers or stairs; bathroom access, etc.
- Home modifications